Saturday, October 16, 2010

Kaylah's dog park expedition

We took Kaylah to a huge dog park for a hike, with a group of three people and four dogs. She was friendly with all dogs and people she met there.

Because Kaylah does not yet know me well, and she has not yet learned her name or the come command, I figured that it would be difficult to call her back to me. Because I wanted to let her run around, though, I let her loose at first while she dragged a long lead. She ran and visited with other dogs but did stray far away, and I didn't want to lose her, so I caught her by the long lead and put her back on a leash.

I discovered that if I use a Gentle Leader on her muzzle, she walks nicely without pulling as hard. She still walks up in front and pulls, but it is much easier to walk her that way, and I think I will continue to use the Gentle Leader with her in the future.

She did great in the car. We put her in the way back with our other big dog and didn't hear a peep out of them the whole way. Speaking of making a peep: when our two other dogs barked on multiple occasions today, Kaylah did not join in the barking, which I appreciated.

2 comments: