Sunday, October 17, 2010

This afternoon's outings

Three dogs is a lot for one household, so I decided to take all of 'em to the Dane County Humane Society in Madison today. I've had enough!

Just kidding... at least about having enough. Kaylah has been very easy to take care of and fits right into our home.

Actually, I went to the humane society because it has a thrift store for pet supplies. I went there to get Kaylah a new collar and leash, since the ones she came with clashed (hot pink and hot green - yuck!) I was also hoping to find her a Gentle Leader or Easy Walk harness of her own, but I couldn't find any of those today. I did manage to find her a nice matching black collar and leash. New family, I will send you home with both collars and leashes. I recommend dropping by the pet thrift store sometime if you're in the Madison area. The stuff for sale is mostly gently used and varies a lot depending on what people have donated, but they have a wide selection of collars, harnesses, leashes, food bowls, toys, pet clothes, and more. Nothing has prices, and you make a donation to the shelter in exchange for the stuff you take home. Here's more info: http://www.giveshelter.org/sitemgr/shelter_news13

I left the doggies in the car in the shade with the windows cracked while I shopped. It was a cool day, so I wasn't worried about them overheating. Kaylah seems to love curling up in the backseat of our car. She happily lay there for the car rides today. Since the dogs were so good in the car, I stopped by the Quann Dog Park on the way home to let them play. Kaylah and Bear raced around together and with other dogs and had a great time. Kaylah sure is fast! My little toy poodle Terra spent the whole time trying to keep up with me as I tried to keep up after the big dogs. This time, I let Kaylah run free, since I knew I could keep an eye on her and eventually catch her in the big fenced field.

I haven't heard Kaylah bark at all until she barked several times at a little corgi in the park. I think she barked because she wanted to play, because she and the corgi raced around and around in circles for a while after that. Kaylah came back to check on me twice but generally ran around having the time of her life. When it was time to go home, I had to track her down to put her back on leash. She didn't come when I called her name or whistled. She will benefit from obedience training and learning to come on command with her future family.

So far, we haven't seen Kaylah play with any of the dog toys in our house. I brought home a shopping bag full of all sorts of toys from the thrift store and dumped them out on the floor just now. Bear thought this was better than Christmas played with several. In fact, he's chewed up three tennis balls already. Kaylah and Terra both ignored the toys and went to the bedroom to take a nap. This picture is of Kaylah napping in my closet, sporting her new black collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment